Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Taste Test: Starbucks Blonde Roast, Veranda Blend

Before I go into my review, you should know that while I love coffee, I have always preferred lighter, more mellow blends. I also happen to not be on the "Charbucks"-hating bandwagon, I truly believe the company makes a good cup of coffee! According to Starbucks' market research, both of these characteristics make me predisposed to like the new Blonde roasts. 

Anyways, on to my review. After much deliberation between the Willow and Veranda blends, I decided on Veranda, which is described as a mellow blend with hints of nuts and cocoa. For the sake of comparison, the Willow blend is meant to have a bright, clean, and citrusy finish. Final verdict? The Blonde Veranda roast is just ok, and to be honest, it's a little bland. It's as if an important flavor note is missing from the blend. There is also a strange aftertaste that follows each sip, an aftertaste that can only be described as 'coffee water'. As mentioned above, this is coming from a coffee drinker that prefers lighter blends. Unfortunately in this case, I think the roasters mixed up 'lighter' with 'flavorless'. If I think it's too bland, I would definitely not recommend the Blonde roasts to someone who enjoys a more full-bodied coffee. Looks like I will be sticking to the Breakfast blend!


No comments:

Post a Comment